Friday, October 7, 2011

The Encouraging Parent


I will never forget it. It was just a brief moment in time and yet it plays over and over in my mind. It must have been at least four years ago...

Josh and I were visiting some friends who had one child at the time. I think she was about three years old. While we adults were talking little Kate was over on the rug playing with her toys. She had been playing happily for a while when, quietly, her dad got up and went over to her.

He gently put his hand on her back and said, "I'm coming over here to encourage you." He praised her for playing so quietly and letting us talk. 

My heart melted. Just a few little words, but a love that will stay with that child for a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a good reminder that kids need encouragement as much as correction. I need to remember that as I work with our Christian school kids, my nephews and nieces, and my Sunday school kids. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete